Friday, February 20, 2009

Breastfeeding

If anyone would have told me that I would still be breastfeeding a 16month toddler five years ago I would have called you crazy! I work in an environment that is so supportive of breastfeeding so it was easy to get started! I knew the technical side of things and I have helped numerous nursing mothers get started. What I didn't know was how emotional breastfeeding can be. When Tyler was tiny Jacob and I would take her to the doctor and I used to love seeing the number on the scale knowing that it was purely me who was giving her milk! I obsessed over every thing I ate and drank. When I went back to work I made sure I drank at least two liters of water every night because I was scared to death of losing my milk supply. The other day I finally cleaned out the freezer. Twenty-two bags of breastmilk!!!! and this is the second time I have thrown away old milk!! I still love sitting in the recliner and snuggling with my baby while she nurses. With her being sick this week is has been a God-send that I have continued to produce milk because she hasn't eaten that much solid food aside from a few goldfish crackers! I had to attend a class for work on Thursday. I hadn't been away from Tyler for 8 hours during the day before so it was really hard. When I got home she was so excited to see me, but she didn't say "MAMMA" or "DUCK" (as I am so lovingly referred to sometimes!) . She said "MILK". I guess I will take it! I know I complain about still having a baby latched all the time (it seems), but it is times like this that make me so happy that I have continued! I know I will look back on this time and wish it lasted longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams."